In 2014, with a strong team, Roy co-founded and operated Creative Practices Institute, an art centre that provided space for production, display and pd for emerging artists. As the Program Director I was in charge of facilitating all the programs and loved every minute of it. Our programs were based on needs within the Edmonton Creative community and most programs focused on professional development. We ran technical workshops, peer-to-peer learning and mentorship.
Our space also consisted of a small exhibition space and studio space. Since the early summer of 2017 the centre was closed due to the lack of resources to fund and manage the space. I am so proud of this incredible team of individuals for making Creative Practices have a small but great impact on emerging artists in Edmonton.
To read more about Creative Practices visit the website here
- Creative Practices Institute shuts down house… – Vue Weekly, Claire Hoffman – August 3, 2016
- Mentorship Program feature – Edmonton Examiner, Doug Johnson
- On the Road with Daniel Jocye: Alberta – Canadian Art
- Feature: Swain Studio – Edmonton Examiner, Doug Johnson
- Interview: Creative Practices Institute – Make Something Edmonton
- How do you see your roll in the arts community? – SNAP line Fall 2014
- #yegarts Connections: the resurgence of Edmonton arts initiatives – Notes Issue 1: Prairie Seen, by Megan Bertagnolli
- Spotlight on Creative Practices Institute – Prairie Seen Feature, by Connor Buchanan
- A Place to Create – Avenue Magazine, by Eric Silver
- New Arts Organization in Edmonton – Visual Arts Alberta, CARFAC
- The Practical Side of Art – Edmonton Examiner, Doug Johnson